Sunday 31 August 2008

The Sequels' Curse

Just came back from the movies where i watched the 3rd mummy movie - "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor".
I have to say, altough i enjoyed the first one, the second and especially the third left me wondering why almost every sequel i could remember, while driving back home, failed the fans' expectations which were created after watching the original movies?

I mean, the producers know what it takes to make a successful movie right? The recipe of success is obviously the first movies which introduce the characters and the plot. Then why don't they use the same formula to make another good movie based on the first one?

Well they actually do! They do use the same characters (almost every time) and a different but similar plot (again almost every time). Well where is the problem then?

While reading some dos and don'ts of sequels i started wondering? Is it maybe the loss of the element of suprise that makes the audience to yawn while watching the new mummy? Is is the feeling "I have seen this again, I know what is going to happen" that makes us not laugh while watching a sequel of our favourite comedy?

I even googled it to see if there was a study conducted about this issue but i was disappointed with the returned results. I guess i have to spend some more time searching for finding something that could satisfy my curiosity.

What do you think?What are the reasons that make us hate sequels so much?

p.s The only sequel i liked more than the original movie was Terminator 2: Judgment Day which i believe was a significant improvement from the first one. How about you?

1 comment:

Mr Movie Man said...

HI, Im actually writting an essay which will eventually hit apon this topic. I Am trying to put across a theory that a lot of the movie sequels that have occured over the past decade or so havent been well recieved due to the fact that the directors and producers have become glory driven in making them. Take the latest Indiana Jones installment. I am a huge fan of Indy, Last Crusade was the first movie i saw in the cinema, it created a huge love of cinema and movie production for me. On seeing The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull however, I actually felt betrayed! Not only did it feel like Indy wasn't Indy, but Lucas and Speilbergs need to use CGI, i feel, totally ruined the it for me and many others. One scene says it all, Shia Labeouf and the monkeys! What the hell! I was actually laughing and crying.
Basically i feel that these sequels are trying too hard to please the fans. finding the right script for this movie alone took years! but they ultimately tried to recreate the original trilogy in one movie. CGI I think has a lot to blame for this, they tried to do things that werent possible in the originals. But for me this detracted from the magic. Look at the Indy and the german tank sequence in the Last crusade. No CGI just good old fashioned planning and a damn good stunt crew! then look at the scene where Shia Labeouf has a swash buckling sword fight with Kate Blanchett...undenialby green sceen and CGI backgrounds. I realise it wasnt possible to shoot this scene for real but thats the problem. They were trying too hard and ultimatley fell on their asses. This for me is the reason sequels tend to fail, a marker has been set in the originals, but this doesnt mean it has to be surpassed. It does sometimes work, Star wars The empire strikes back was, i feel, better than A New Hope. And yes the Terminator was improved on with Judgement day as was Alien by Aliens. but I'd say at least 80% of sequels are cursed because the the people that make them don't know when to say enough is enough.